The RPLC was endowed by a gift of land from King George III and Queen Charlotte in 1786 and reconstituted in its present form in 1968.
The RPLC's governing document is the 1991 Charity Scheme as amended in 2008 and 2013. The Charity operates within a closely defined Benefit Area comprised of the TW9, TW10, SW13 and SW14 postcode districts.
The main purposes of the RPLC are outlined as being to further all, or any, of the following in the Benefit Area:
• the support of the elderly and those in need
• the care of people suffering ill health or hardship
• the provision of recreational facilities and support for leisure activities
• the promotion of education and helping people to undertake courses and training
• any other charitable purposes for the benefit of the local community
The RPLC Trustees
Three of our Trustees are nominated, two by the Local Council and one by the Richmond Society. The remaining trustees are appointed directly by the RPLC following recruitment through advertisements and interviews. The Mayor of the Borough is an ex-officio member of the Trustee Board.
|Roger Clark - Chairman from 2016 to date|
Ashley Casson - Education Committee Chairman
The Mayor of Richmond upon Thames (Ex officio)
The Office Team
Jonathan Monckton - Director
Amy Vogel - Education Manager
Carolina Borisavljevic- Executive Assistant
Clare Stanton- Office Manager
Sharon La Ronde - Grants Director
Tony Simkin - Accountant
Barnes Relief in Need
The administration of the Barnes Relief in Need Charity (BRINC) has been undertaken by the RPLC since April 2005. BRINC has been in existence since 1976 with its primary objective to assist people in need who reside in SW14. The RPLC shares the same area of benefit. Together the charities work in partnership to help people in an acknowledged area of relative deprivation in the Borough. Both will continue to offer grants to individuals and organisations for the benefit of residents of SW14.
In June 2015 it was agreed that the Barnes Charities should be linked to the RPLC which will lead to the merging of adminstration and accounts. An application for approval of the formal linking will be submitted to the Charity Commission in July 2015.
BRINC and the RPLC use the same application forms. Forms are held by referral agencies such as health agencies or local charities including the Citizens Advice Bureau. Applications from individuals are not accepted.
History of the Charity
Extension of the benefit area to include Barnes (SW13)
|2011||First £1m+ budget for grant giving|
|2008||Benefit Area now postcode areas: TW9, TW10 and SW14|
|2001||Extension of benefit area to include Mortlake|
|1999||Extension of benefit area to include Ham and Petersham|
|1990||Extension of benefit area to include Kew and North Sheen|
|1989||Construction of Grove Road complex on Queens Road Estate, comprising Dickson House Craft Workshops, the Cambrian Community Centre and Caplan Court one-bed flats|
|1975||Sale and lease of greater part of land and investment of proceeds in Stock Market. Construction of 361 dwellings on land by London & Quadrant Housing Association|
|1968||Administration of Richmond Parish Lands transferred from Borough Council. Richmond Parish Lands Charity reconstituted as independent Charity with Benefit Area the old Civil Parish of Richmond and general charitable objectives|
|1928||Borough Council succeeds The Vestry as Trustees|
|1845||Houses constructed on the land on 99 year leases and income used for the relief of poor rate|
|1786||Gift by George III of common land next to Richmond Park to The Vestry of Richmond Parish and construction of Workhouse thereon. Surplus land to be used for benefit of the poor - so creating "Parish Lands Charity" Trust|